One of the biggest retail holidays for mattress shoppers is fast approaching. We’re talking about Labor Day mattress sales — which knock hundreds of dollars off beds we’ve reviewed and recommend in our best mattress guide.
Labor Day mattress sales typically start at the end of August, but we expect to see more deals than ever this holiday as mattress manufacturers fight rising fears of a recession. That means these mattress sales are likely to start earlier than ever.
While Labor Day isn’t the only time of the year you’ll find big discounts on mattresses, it is one of the most important as it marks the unofficial end of the summer. So we’re gathering our best shopping tips so that you can make the most of this year’s best Labor Day mattress sales.
Tips for buying a mattress on Labor Day
Buying a mattress is a major investment, so it pays to do some homework before making a purchase. Because prices are so low, many people wait specifically for Labor Day mattress sales to buy a new mattress, but that doesn’t always guarantee you’ll get the best deal or the best bed for your budget. Here are a few tips to ensure you get the sale possible.
- Look for dollar-off discounts instead of percentages: Flashy slogans like 50% off are designed to grab your attention. But a percentage off means nothing if you don’t know the dollar-off discount. Always look at the original price and the final/discounted price before you make a final buying decision, that way you’ll know just how much you really saved.
- Shop around for mattress coupons: The vast majority of mattress manufacturers offer coupons that can save you a few extra dollars or get you a free bedding bundle with your mattress purchase.
- Look for freebies with your purchase: Dollar-off discounts are the way to go when it comes to shopping for a new mattress. But we also recommend looking for freebies that can sweeten your purchase even more. Nectar, which makes our favorite mattress of all time, always offers free $399 bedding bundle (opens in new tab) with its mattress purchases. The bundle includes a free mattress protector, sheet set, and pillows.
- Find the best warranty possible: The downside to online mattress shopping is that you can’t try out a mattress before you buy it. Fortunately, most mattress manufacturers offer extended trials accompanied by warranties that last 10 or more years. Nectar, for example, offers a 365-night home trial (opens in new tab) bundled with a forever warranty (opens in new tab). To be fair, not all mattress retailers are as generous, but it’s worth knowing the warranty and return policy before buying your new mattress.
- Invest as much as you can: A mattresses is something you buy maybe once every 10 years. It’s also something you use for hours every day. As a result, you’ll want to invest in a good mattress, rather than opting for the cheapest mattress you can find. Not only will your back thank you, but you’ll also avoid having to buy a new mattress more frequently.
Look for mattress coupons
Mattress manufacturers occasionally offer discounts via coupon codes. Some brands are upfront about their promo codes and list them on their respective websites. Others have the tendency to hide them. Either way, they’re a quick and easy way to save on your Labor Day mattress sales purchases. Make sure to check out our guide to the best coupons via our guides: Nectar promo codes, Tempur Pedic promo codes, Purple promo codes, Casper promo codes, DreamCloud coupons, and Awara promo codes.